Sunday, March 30, 2014

Happy Vietnam Veterans Day

By Dan Barber

A young me on the USS Enterprise (CVN-65) in Vietnam.
During my career with the U.S. Navy, spread out with 20 years on active duty and as a civilian employee for another 20, I attended countless military celebrations marking one thing or another, for many of these events I was there to provide photographic or journalistic coverage.

I have lost count how many of these events that I’ve attended over the years, but I think the most memorable event that I covered was in fact my last, a Hospital Corps Birthday Ball, not long before I retired.

The guest speaker, at this event, was retired Marine Sergeant Major Ray Wilburn, a veteran of World War II, the Korean War and Vietnam. The Sergeant Major was 92 years young and still ramrod straight and fit and trim in his Marine Corps dress uniform. He was asked to be the fill-in guest speaker at this Hospital Corps Ball because the individual originally booked was unable to attend because his flight was cancelled back east due to bad weather.  The Sergeant Major rose from his seat, next to his wife Erma, climbed the stairs to the stage without assistance or even the use of a hand rail. He stood tall at the edge of the stage and delivered a 30 minute talk without a podium, notes or microphone to a hushed crowd. He brought tears and laughter through telling the story about his military and life experiences. 

Many of the young Sailors and Marines in the room knew what this man was talking about because they know of the camaraderie they feel with their fellow brothers and sisters in uniform, and many of them have also witnessed and shared first-hand the devastation that war can bring.

These military events are held to celebrate the milestones of the military organizations that the attendees belong to. Mostly the young people attend so they can show the pride they have of serving their country in uniform.

As I looked around the room at the many young people, I noticed many were still in or barely out of their teen years, and also many of them already had a chest full of medals that were awarded to them for actions they took on the battlefield.

As I write this, I wonder how many Vietnam Veterans are celebrating their day… today March 30, 2014 is actually March 29, 2014 in Vietnam. I have always had mixed emotions about being a Vietnam era veteran. I’m proud of my service, but I don’t feel that anyone owes me anything for that service except for what I’ve actually earned for serving on active duty for 20 years… my military pension, health care for my wife and I and shopping privileges at military exchanges and commissaries.

A few years ago I noticed that my community established a “Welcome Home” party for Vietnam Veterans. I’ve never attended this event because I was already welcomed home from Vietnam by my family… I never felt that I was a victim of Vietnam except maybe for the time I was beaten unconscious by someone who disliked what I represented, a proud young sailor on liberty wearing his uniform, or someone with money in his pocket. In either case the perpetrator’s effort was hollow for them because I had not yet been to Vietnam and if they were looking to rob me I had no money because at the time I was paid but a little more then $100 per month for my service. I never learned the identity of the perpetrator of my beating or what their motive was, and never cared.

I have never set foot on a battlefield, but over the years I’ve seen many young people who have. Years ago I worked with a Sailor who served in Vietnam with the Army. He decided to reenlist in the Navy. In hindsight, this Sailor suffered from severe and untreated Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Which is better understood, and better treated today. Back during Vietnam those returning home from war with this disorder were many times treated like outcasts or criminals because of their “bad” behaviors. My co-worker was very polite and respectful to everyone; he never got into trouble or tried to hurt anyone. The reaction this Sailor had when he heard a loud noise was extreme fright… I don’t know what ever came of this Sailor, but I hope that he received help for his crippling wounds of the mind.

I don’t consider myself as a veteran from any era… I’m just a veteran.


No comments:

Post a Comment